Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Kissing Books!???

Did the title grab your attention? Well, these are not really about kissing in the sense most people think about. Rather, these are very sweet books that babies and young children really enjoy. The first book is one I call a great "Lap Book". The other is another for the category "Read Alouds". Although I haven't really explained my "category" listing yet, this is what I call a split category posting. As I add more books to the blog you will find I try to group the books into category types, but please do not rule out a book just because of a label I have stuck on it.


Kiss Good Night written by Amy Hest
When I first bought this, I thought what a good bedtime book, and it is. But since then, I have also really enjoyed watching my little girl (who is 11 months now) take pleasure in the pictures as well as the story. It is a simple story of how Mrs. Bear puts Sam to bed on a stormy night. Sam though isn't ready to go to sleep just yet, as Mrs. Bear has seemingly forgotten the most important part of Sam's bedtime routine. Sam isn't bothered by the storm, but really needs that final kiss goodnight in order to drift off to sleep. The easy going Mrs. Bear and the quiet persistency of Sam are artfully portrayed in surprisingly eye catching muted colors. We have both the picture book paperback size and the small board book version. I definitely think the larger size is the best for bedtime reading as the pictures are larger and not obstructed by having to share a small space with the text. (Watch for a later posting on several issues board books present.) Babies through probably 2nd grade would enjoy this. I call this a "Lap Book" as it is great to have your little one(s) curled up on or near your lap as you read it, especially if you end the story like Mrs. Bear.



Kiss the Cow written by Phyllis Root

How fun would it be to try and really kiss a cow? Well, you won't find this redhead trying it, just as the main red-haired character Annalisa wouldn't either. You see Annalisa's mother has too many kids to be counted, but her cow Luella always provides enough milk to feed everyone. That is until Annalisa tries to fool Luella. So, when Luella stops milking one day when she does not receive the obligatory kiss, will Annalisa pucker up to help the family out? The rhythm of the story and phrasing make this a fun book to read out loud, especially if you add a bit of a whimsical accent. I found preschool through 2nd grade enjoyed this more than older children. Plus, it is just too cute not to read.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Frema said...

Hello there, PJ Librarian! Glad to have you on the board the www phenonmenon. :)

11:15 AM  
Blogger Diane Arias said...

Well, first congrats to your new blog and your 11 month old. I'm (very) busy at home with three (3yr old and twin 1 1/2 yr olds) and am trying to break the TV habit. They on their own will sit and peruse books. Which I love. As for reading aloud to them... hmmm... does your lil' one stay engaged (read: sit still) while you're reading aloud to him/her?

Enjoying your synopses and seeing the book covers! Keep it up!

2:04 PM  
Blogger PJ Librarian said...

First thanks for checking the blog out. Hopefully it will improve as my rusty writing gets back in gear. As far as reading to my little girl, she actually (usually) sits really well while I read to her. She also likes to look through the books by herself as she did in the wee morning hours today. I'm not sure how I managed it as she is at most times very active. But, I have been reading to her since she was about 3 months. We started reading her a book or two after her nursing/bottles during the day. Now we do this about twice a day, but whenever. I still feed her a mid-day bottle and try to wrap it up with a book.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Lost A Sock said...

What a great idea for a blog! I'm sure your entries will lengthen my amazon.com wish list. :0)

Also, in regards to kissing books, The Kissing Hand is another wonderful book - especially for kids starting school. :0)

11:50 AM  
Blogger Diane Arias said...

See... you just made it part of your routine. Sneaky librarian. I'll start to work it in, and I'll keep you posted (pun intended).

12:52 PM  
Blogger Luke said...

You know, maybe I'm a little perverse, but bovine kissing makes me think of the fact that some people eat cow tongue, which is a tiny bit gross. But it still does sound like a cute book.

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home