Sunday, February 26, 2006

Chapter Book Review - The Secret in the Old Attic

Have you ever heard of a Bio Poem Style Review? Well, I hadn't until a few years back. The following is a write up I did for a class on writing reviews. Now as a reminder, I am just an amateur and do not make any claims of great writing skills, but the following apparently changed the mind of my then professor on how she looked at Nancy Drew books (she didn't like them). I have always been a big fan of this consistent format style mystery series. The books are not literary greats, but they kept me reading and that is always a plus. And, everyone loves a familiar character and cozy mystery on a rainy day.




Keene, Carolyn; Nancy Drew Mystery Stories: The Secret in the Old Attic #21, 1970, Grosset & Dunlap: (From the original series of 56 written by Mildred Wirt Benson.)



Bio Poem:

Nancy Drew
Generous, teenage, girl, detective
A character in Carolyn Keene's story about mysteries

A lover of:
Family
Friends
Fairness
Adventure

Who notices:
Mr. March's plight
Attic of antiques
Letters with clues
The skeleton's secret

Who feels:
Eager to help
Skeptical of ghostly noises
Suspicious of Mr. Jenner
Encouraged by her discoveries

Who learns about:
Plagiarism in music publishing
Black widow spiders in silk manufacturing
Hidden family feuds

Who hopes to:
Right a wrong
Find missing music
Discover stolen formula

The Secret in the Old Attic
A book that keeps the reader guessing how one thing has to do with another, yet everything seems to somehow be connected.

And, for all those that are die hard Nancy Drew fans, I found out through Kids Lit's blog that it seems there is to be a movie released in 2007. Yeah!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Lost A Sock said...

Oh goodness...my two best friends in 8th grade were Nancy Drew addicts. I can't say I've ever read a single ND book, though. Babysitters Club was more my forte. :0)

1:29 AM  
Blogger Frema said...

You already know how much I love this girl detective, so imagine how psyched am I about a movie! Also, I think this review style would be a great way for children to write book reports. It pulls out the main ideas without getting too bogged down with details that ultimately aren't essential to the story.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home