Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Tale of Despereaux: etc., etc.

The Tale of Despereaux : being the story of a mouse, a princess, some soup, and a spool of thread by Kate DiCamillo

Okay, lets see. The movie production was announced in July 2004. I have seen where the movie adaptation is going to be released during the 2006 movie season. It is now February 2006. Hummm? Has anyone heard a date yet? However, please do not take this inquiry as a "sitting on pins and needles" and "I can't wait to see the movie" issue. As I am one of probably very, very few people who have read this book and did not enjoy it. I am a big fan of Kate DiCamillo, but this Newbery book winner just struck me the wrong way. It could have been the time of night I read the book, maybe that I am not into the dark and dreary dungeon type tales, or maybe I just didn't like all the meany characters. No matter the reason, there are so many others that I know that really did enjoy this book, which makes me wonder when will it hit the theatres? Plus, I always enjoy seeing a Children's book, whether I liked it or not, hit the big screen. It will be interesting to see what rating it gets and if any "big" name actors will participate.

Also as a side note, if you like rodent based books, here are a few other titles to check out:
Runaway Ralph by Beverly Cleary
Redwall by Brian Jacques
Poppy by Avi
I, Houdini by Lynne Reid Banks
Shadow Walkers by Russ Chenoweth
Impossible, Possum by Ellen Conford
Maybe, a Mole by Julia Cunningham
The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
Brewster's Courage by Deborah Kovacs
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien
A Rat's Tale by Tor Seidler
Tales at the Mousehole by Mary Stolz
The Lemming Condition by Alan Arkin

Some of these are older titles, but still most should be available in your library's juvenile section.

As Despereaux and librarians prefer, read rather than eat the pages.

7 Comments:

Blogger Frema said...

This was one of the books I bought at our Scholastic book fair trip last summer, but I have yet to pick it up. I have one friend who raves about it. Now I have to read it so I can figure out whose side I'm on. :)

3:17 PM  
Blogger Luke said...

I did read Frema's copy of the book, and I liked it, but it's no The Mouse and the Motorcycle.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Lost A Sock said...

Oh my goodness the Ralph S. Mouse books!! I have SO many good memories of these. They're the first chapter books I ever read - and actually I think I was too young to read them on my own because my dad used to read them aloud to me before bed at night, one chapter a night, leaving me great excitement and anticipation for the next night. Great memory. :0)

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite children's mouse story is Stuart Little by E.B. White. Stuart has the kind of adventures any child would enjoy especially if you are a mouse-boy.

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although opossums may look like rodents, I think that a possum is a marsupial and not a rodent.

4:27 PM  
Blogger PJ Librarian said...

They are marsupials, but for the listing I went by several different library guides and it was included in a number of them. Even though they aren't rodents, too many think they are. So, I took the easy way out and included them.

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, groundhogs are considered rodents. A good one to add to the list would be Go to Sleep, Groundhog! by Judy Cox. :)

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home