Thursday, June 08, 2006

Back to the Library They Must Go

One of my favorite book comforts is that I can check out up to 75, yes I said 75, books at a time from the library. That is in addition to other media materials. Amazing! Although there have been a few times I have reached a count of 40 or so, I am usually around 20 to 25 in various books. Lucky me and all the other patrons of our local system.

However, there is a downside. In recent months, I have found I rarely get a chance to write up any information on more than a half a dozen or so of the books I have read. So, to at least provide a bit of a brief thought or comment I am going to try a "Ebert and Roeper" review style for the left over books. So, to provide a consistent review format I have come up with a little phrasing to describe my thoughts. The following Early Reader books are receiving a "Turn The Page" (meaning it is worth checking out) or "Shelve It" (meaning don't bother) comment. These are just a few of the books I am returning.

You Can Use a Compass by Lisa Trumbauer - Summary: Simple text and photographs describe and illustrate how to use a compass to find one's way on land, at sea, or in the air.
Turn The Page - Good non fiction Early Reader

Rabbit Cadabra by James Howe - Summary: When Chester learns that the Amazing Karlovsky will use a rabbit in his school magic show, he comes up with a plan to stop vampire bunnies. (Early Reader version of the Bunnicula chapter books.)
Turn The Page - This is a level 3 with story complexity and text calling for a definite reading proficiency.


Pup and Hound at Sea by Susan Hood - Summary: Two dogs pretending to be pirates told in rhyme.
Turn The Page - Not great, but worth at least a look.

The Magic School Bus Flies from the Nest by Joanna Cole - Summary: Mrs. Frizzle and her class come to Carlos' aid when he gets too close to a bird's nest while studying birds.

Shelve It - Layout and text not Early Reader friendly, better for more experienced readers.

My Wild Woolly by Deborah J. Eaton - Summary: A boy discovers an imaginary animal in his back yard, but his mother does not believe it is there.
Shelve It - Very Boring

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

75! Wow! I can only read one book at a time. How wonderful to do so many books at one time, but then you are a trained professional. I have learned that it is OK to read the last chapter first. That was some really good coaching. It has been a big help in knowing about a book in question.

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home