Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Chapter Books - Here Lies the Librarian

I know, I know. I previously mentioned this book back on the 4th of May. But at that time I still hadn't put my little hands around the cover and opened it for my own eyes to savor. Now my husband who stops by occasionally to see what I have written about noticed the write up and decided I needed to have this book. Did I mention he is the most thoughtful man and I am so fortunate to have snagged him? Well, anyway I have now officially read the book. The good thing is it is great. The bad thing is I kept getting caught up with background and setting for the story (my issue though not the book's). Being a long life Hoosier and one from central Indiana makes me especially keen on books that feature this lovely place I call home. Peck does a great job with the story and Eleanor (which was my grandmother's name and another tie to home) is one spunky girl (like my grandmother).

As the story unfolds it becomes a fast moving tale and matches backwoods living with new "fangled" ideas of industrial progress. The lady librarians (young adults) who sweep into town after a devastating tornado captivate and help strengthen the cause, in their own small yet stylish way, for libraries. Each of the women demonstrates some strength in library science skills and made me cheer them on. Yet, they are really only a subset of the story. The story really centers on Eleanor (Peewee) and her relationship with her brother and their changing lives. Of course, being set in Indiana you have to throw in a bit of racing to keep the ole' tradition going. Plus, for those not aware Indiana, especially Indianapolis, use to be one of the top car manufacturing areas in the country thus producing the now famous 500. Well before Detroit was, well Detroit.

Although the main character is a girl of 14 on the verge of "growing up", it has a number of appealing aspects that boys would enjoy. Some of these include the obvious racing, mechanics, car manufacturing, and outsmarting bullies. Oh, and let's not forget the tornado unearthed residents of the cemetery. As indicated earlier the recommended age range is all over the map. My personal opinion is that it would work for just about anyone 10 and up. Those from Indiana will feel a special connection as well.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds like a book that I need to read with librarians, Indiana, an Eleanor, and your recommendation. I have just finished another book that you recommended, Hoot, which is a fine story complete with owls as well as a few of your favorite alligators.

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another thought...although they are not making cars in Indianapolis, Indy has evolved into a great city, On the other hand, Detroit has lost some of the glory of earlier days.

7:07 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

I just read this book and thoroughly enjoyed it!

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home