National Animal Poison Control Week March 19-25
Although not specifically book related, many Children's books include or are centered around animals so I thought the following appropriate for us here. Beginning Sunday it is National Animal Poison Control Week - March 19-25. This week is dedicated to educating pet owners and veterinarians about household hazards. It is put together by the ASPCA and EPA as part of the Consumer Labeling Initiative (CLI). The CLI is a partnership to improve label information as well as help "the public purchase, use, and dispose of products safely and responsibly in and around their homes".
When checking out what is harmful to pets, I was surprised. Of course, I knew about chocolate and various household plants. Plus, there are the standard harmful things such as household cleaners and items found in the garage, but there are a number of things I was not aware of.
So, for you pet lovers and even those without pets, take a look at the ASPCA Poison Control Center's list. You may be surprised at what you find. They also have a Pet Care page which is helpful.
Some odd items that may be new to you:
- Chocolate (all forms) toxic due to Tehobromine content
- Coffee (all forms)
- Macadamia nuts
- Onions, onion powder breaks down red blood cells and causes renal failure
- Raisins causes renal failure
- Grapes causes renal failure
- Products sweetened with xylitol (artificial sweetener)
- Post-1982 pennies due to the high zinc content
- Alcoholic beverages
- Cats: how to choose and care for a cat by Laura Jeffrey (there are a number of other titles by this author covering a variety of common pets) 2004 j636.8 JEF Juvenile book
- Small pet care: how to look after your rabbit, guinea pig, or hamster by Annabel Blackledge 2005 j636.935 BLA Juvenile Book
- Arthur and the school pet by Marc Brown2003 jZ B87913 a fun Juvenile fiction book
- Encyclopedia of pets & pet care: the essential family reference guide to pet breeds and pet care by Lorenz, 2004 636.0887 E5645 Adult book
- The ASPCA complete guide to pet care by David Carroll 2001 636.0887 CAR Adult Book