Friday, August 11, 2006

Waiting! Waiting! Waiting! What is a girl to do?

Finally, the clouds have parted, the rain has stopped, and the temperature is actually not so bad. So, why am I so tempted to pull the shades and curl up with books and the baby? Well, it has been literally a week bookended (if there is such a word) by waiting for things to get done that haven’t. I am a fairly patient person and realize that waiting in line, waiting at the doctor’s office, and so forth are just natural occurrences of everyday life. So, why is it that I expect not to wait for repair people, cashiers to quit jawing with their friends and check me out, and for attorney assistants to be timely? From last Friday to today, I have sat and waited so much that I think I could have actually cleaned my house, read an adult novel, and worked on a home repair project. But, instead I waited and waited. One of the many good things about being a stay at home mom is the fairly flexible schedule that is available. Of course, that doesn’t mean I have much free time, but rather I can rearrange things easier then with an 8 to 5 job. This morning’s wait just tipped my overflowing cup finally.

As mentioned in earlier posts, we were on the receiving end of a severe storm back in April. It is now August and I am still trying to coordinate getting the repairs done. I could have at least the roof done if I hired one of those storm-chasing companies that hit town. However, some of my neighbors are now really regretting their choice, as their new roofs have to be re-repaired. So, I am biding my time in hopes this one company of the many I have called will finally come through. But, what I spent my time this morning waiting on was the siding people. After waiting an hour and half for the estimator to arrive, I called to find out that he cancelled all his appointments days ago. Funny, I never heard from him and sadly told the appointment coordinator this. She being the oh so not understanding soul said they could reschedule me in about two weeks. Now keep in mind I have to have estimates for all the storm work in order to finalize a payment with the insurance company. Lucky for us the roof isn’t leaking and I haven’t seen damage as yet from the holes in the siding. I just wish I could magically wave Hermione Granger’s wand and have all these and other repairs fixed in a jiffy. But, instead I will continue to take the Muggle path and wait and wait for people to do what they say they will, show up when they finally get to it, and be thankful for good health. Oh, and I'll be waiting about 12 more months for the final installment of Harry's life, who has been waiting for a long, long time as well to sort out his magical mystery.

Thanks for listening to the ranting and I did at least tie a book in there a tiny bit. Hope your weekend brings you lots of smiles and time to read with those you love.

3 Comments:

Blogger daddy d said...

Wait and wait. I hear that. The businesses of home repair have all the work that they can deal with at this time. It is that way every where, it seems.
The tree guy is coming on Monday by noon before it gets hot. No he doesn't. Then on Saturday, I get a call:"Did I want him to come by?" No. Another tree guy has the job. The next week the first tree guy is by doing a tree two doors down. He talks to me about my tree, "Who is doing it for me?" "Erwin.",I say. "Really, he will charge you pretty good.", he says. I think, "Not any more than you and he has the job." Life goes on and on with some wins and some losses. We just keep playing the game as best that we can for our own home team.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

This is a sad state of affairs, but I almost expect commericial businesses not to be ontime for appointments. When a delivery person or repair person arrives at the appointed time, I am surprised. Amazingly, these folks stay in business even with this bad treatment of customers. On the other hand. Montgomery Ward's always arrived ontime or called if they were going to arrive later than expected, and Ward's went out of business.

11:22 PM  
Blogger Frema said...

It's amazing how some "professionals" think so highly of their own industry that that timeliness and common courtesy go out the window. Hope things look up soon.

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home