Friday, July 28, 2006

Just butterflies.....

Haven't had a chance to write anything witty, serious, boring, or otherwise today, but I thought I would share a few photos I took at a butterfly exhibit last weekend. These are from a conservatory nearby that provides the opportunity to walk around a botanical area where hundreds of butterflies are maintained for the season until it is time for them to migrate. We took the wee one who probably didn't enjoy it as much as I did. My favorite...well they all were, but the brown/blue is the most unique I think. It is the first picture. Sorry, I haven't looked up all the names, yet. It is brown on the underside wing and blue on the outer wing. Plus, it didn't startle as easily as the others, and it was approximately 3 to 4 inches with a wing span of about 6 to 8 inches. Amazing!



5 Comments:

Blogger Chris Barton said...

I viewed your brown/blue butterfly photo across my full screen, and it's just beautiful! Thanks for the early morning treat.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Luke said...

I always like to see the butterfly exhibit as well. A few years ago, Frema and went with some friends, who took a mighty funny picture of one landing in the middle of someone's posterior who walked around completely unaware of her hitchhiker.

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that the blue butterfly is the endangered Karner Blue, which is native to the Great Lakes Region. An ex-student and family friend works for the Nature Conservancy and studies the Karner Blue in the Indiana Dunes area. Wonderful pictures, PJ

11:54 AM  
Blogger PJ Librarian said...

Actually, it is a Morpho Butterfly - which can be seen on Children's Butterfly site. The Morpho is from South and Central America. It is part of the Brushfoot Family. The Karner grows to only about one inch where this one averages a 7 inch wingspan and has brown markings where the Karner has black.

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In any event, the picture is beautiful. Your Morpho butterflies are adorning my PC screen.

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home