Friday, July 21, 2006

Consequences of My Book Habit

When I introduced books and began to read to my little one at three months old, I thought what a great bonding time we will establish. Well, we have and still do, but... A few weeks ago my now 17 month old some days screams for her books. Not quite literally, but she points to the bookshelf, she points to her box of board books, and then she points at me and does that high pitched whine that turns into a crying session if I do not either give her a book or read with her. What was I thinking? Oh, I know books are a good thing. Well they are and I just need to get use to the fact I am raising a book enthusiast. We (meaning myself and my wonderful husband) regularly read with her several times a day. I think some of her recent episodes are actually possessive fits. She loves to carry her books, hand them to others, and sit on them. I wonder, it is said kids love to mimic those they see, is it me that she is mimicking? Oh wait, I don’t sit on books, yet. The wee one has a number of cloth books at her disposal, but they do not seem to satisfy her bookish appetite these days. She wants the real thing. I would leave her board books out, but there is this thing called teething. The board books unfortunately have a way of becoming a teething item after being read and it is molar season here. Believe me when I say she gets plenty of fiber through more healthful means. Although she has lately supplemented her diet with a few Baby Einstein and DK books along with a Babybug magazine cover. I am not sure whether I should be proud or worried about this new trend she is displaying. The funny thing is she would rather look at a book over Elmo these days and I think that is a good sign of some kind of balance. Now, if I can just get through a visit to the library without her wanting everybook in sight or is that me?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful....be proud!!
Aunt Ruthie

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see our sweet baby doing this.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very funny. My two year old loves them, too. He sleeps with them. They are board books, and they have now had it, but it's only the same three. I love the fact that he loves books--like a toy. I think that you'll have many more years of this ahead.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Frema said...

Better the library than the Scholastic book fair! At least you can get the former for free. :)

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home