Friday, July 07, 2006

Ramblings and Sherlock Holmes

I have been such a slacker this week with my book reviews. There are many floating around in my head and on my desk, but unfortunately they are competing with all the icky that goes along with settling an estate. Think twice before agreeing to be an executor or in my case an executrix even for someone who you love very dearly. It has been two months now since my father’s sudden death and I find that the paperwork that goes along with it at times a bit too overwhelming. It isn’t because it is confusing or difficult, but rather just plain out emotionally heart wrenching some days to know that your father has been reduced to paperwork and a lot of it. I spent nearly six hours yesterday trying to organize papers, figure out which ones need immediate attention, and decide which ones will have to wait until later. Although my Dad didn’t have much his filing system was somewhat muddled at best. Now that all the official court papers are filed (and lots of those too) I get to handle the personal things like banks, credit cards, bills, etc. Amongst that I am trying to make sure the estate property (fancy term for a simple small house and car) are taken care of. Meaning making sure no unauthorized persons use said property and the weather doesn’t play mean tricks, which require repairs. Plus being a frugal minded person, I am doing my own copying and telephone calls as the attorney’s office charges rather an unusually high amount for paperwork, personnel, etc. I understand why, but with so little in the estate it seems too expense. Although I am not a recipient of the estate, I want to save as much as possible for the heir.

With all that said. I did take a break today and discovered that in “This Day in History” it is Dr. Watson’s (Sherlock Holmes’ sidekick that is) birthday as written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. If you are looking for a good book to introduce Sherlock Holmes to a younger group, for example age 9 and up, I would recommend Doyle’s The Hound of the Baskervilles. Also, many of Doyle’s works have been modified for the younger mystery reader and titles like The Speckled Band, The Red-Headed League, and The Blue Carbuncle are some other good books to select. I found in the past that boys especially seemed to really enjoy these titles. So, for the next rainy or unbearably hot weather day, check out one of Doyle’s classic tales of English crime and mysterious deeds to spice up the day. On a side note, to add some mystery to Doyle’s life, who also was at one time a practicing physician, died on the birthday he created for Watson. Hummm....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home