Friday, March 30, 2007

Picture Books - Dr. Duck

Is there a doctor in the house? A reading doctor perhaps? Well, if there is I’m wondering is it normal for a wee one of just 25 months to want so many books read before nap and bedtime? Don’t get me wrong, I love the fact she wants to hear and look at so many books, but it is hard to cut it off. However, I have been successful in reducing the books to four at naptime and six at bedtime. Of course, this doesn’t include the numerous ones throughout the day. Occasionally, I have even suggested she watch a show, yes, I said show on television even to take a break from reading. (PBS here in town have some really good shows that are great for wee ones.)

One of her many favorite books lately is that of Dr. Duck by H. M. Ehrlich and illustrated by Laura Rader 2000 - This is a must read every night for the wee one. We meet Dr. Duck as he starts his morning neighborhood rounds in his big red van. Through Dr. Duck we meet all kinds of animals and what is ailing them. As Dr. Duck wraps up his day, it is soon him that falls ill. The animals rally round and help nurse Dr. Duck to health again. Unfortunately, our wee one gets upset when one of the animal cries out, “don’t die Dr. Duck”. I have learned to skip that sentence and it doesn’t interfere at all with the rhythmic text.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger daddy d said...

A daily story book or a series of story books is a great tradition. They bring a positive order to ones life. Knowing what to expect is a very good thing. Progress is built upon working forward in time with a positive outlook. What a joy!

7:44 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

Reading a bedtime story is a wonderful tradition, and children remember some of the stories for a lifetime. My Dad read to me; he is featured in a post on our team blog Mama Said, Papa Said. Another Dad, Daddy D is featured on my resurrected blog at Return of the White Robin.

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PJ, you could "coffeepot" that one, too! Just kidding. I do miss those bed time stories.

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought I was the only one who had to suggest videos to my kids. Too funny!

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home