Sunday, January 29, 2006

New Stamps Celebrate Children's Animal Books

Well, look what the government came up with for its new postage rate stamp. It decided to select eight acclaimed children's books and put them on the new stamps. There aren't very many choices yet for 39 cent stamps, but this one is their tribute to books. Of course, I am not sure why they chose these books or children's in fact. Some are classics and some well "newbies". And, what is funny I do not like any of them as a favorite. This just goes to show you that my tastes vary from others because many of these books are favorites among the vast majority. I do like most of them, but I would not choose to have them in my collection unless later on my daughter says "I want that book". Also, these books span a large publication time frame. From the original author of Curious George (coming soon to you as an animated movie) to the current Maisy series. I must admit kids really do like most of these. Although, I wouldn't have included Charlotte's Web in with seven other picture books. Wilbur is not illustrated all that much in a chapter book. However, I do give credit for the USPS for at least recognizing there are other good things to immortalize on a stamp besides Elvis and the US Flag. If you go looking for the books to checkout you will find they are all still available from the library and for purchase at the mainstream bookstores. Here they are along with their authors:

  1. Frederick by Lionni, Leo
  2. Olivia by Falconer, Ian
  3. Charlotte's Web by White, E. B. (Elwyn Brooks)
  4. Fox in Socks by Seuss, Dr.
  5. The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Carle, Eric
  6. Maisy Goes to the Library (other titles available as well) by Cousins, Lucy
  7. Where the Wild Things Are by Sendak, Maurice
  8. The Original Curious George by Rey, H. A. (Hans Augusto) or the continued series by Rey, Margret under titles such as Curious George Flies a Kite

But, as a side note, when did insects and rodents start being considered animals?

Happy reading.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Lost A Sock said...

How very exciting! I'll definitely be looking for those next time I need stamps. Both Curious George and Fox In Socks (This book is dangerous!) are favorites of my 3 year old.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Luke said...

Those are indeed some fun stamps, and we will probably get some when we run out of our Winter Olympics ones.

Also, insects and rodents are indeed part of the animal kingdom, as a certain science teacher will be happy to tell you.

8:32 AM  
Blogger PJ Librarian said...

Luke, you are correct that our favorite science teacher would indeed confirm they are in the kingdom. But, I like to live in my happy rodent and insect free animal kingdom. Bet those postcard stamps are going to be boring again though. That is where the insects and rodents should be. Of course, whenever they get around to printing them.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Diane Arias said...

OMG. I totally dig stamps and these are won-der-ful! Thanks for the update!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Frema said...

I love Charlotte's Web. I remember my dad reading this book to Samantha and me when we were little, so I'm emotionally attached to it for reasons other than the clever little spider it's named after. :)

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What great stamps about wonderful books. Luke is right the cute mice and fun caterpillars are indeed part of the Animal Kingdom. Too bad, Zack's Alligator, was not included in the stamps... maybe not quite a classic yet. I am sure the next set of stamps will feature such a book. Everybody loves alligators. He,he

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home