Monday, April 10, 2006

Fun Books about Libraries

With a passion for libraries and all they offer I find myself with a weakness when it comes to books that use libraries as the main setting. The following is just a really short list of the vast number of books that I have found that use libraries as the backdrop to the story. The list contains everything from "how to use the library" to "zoo animals that want the latest chapter book to read". Whether you are trying to emphasize the benefits of a library or just looking for a funny read-aloud book, try one of the following. (Although it was celebrated last week, don't you think every week should be a National Library Week? With a slogan like "Change Your World @Your Library" you can't help, but want to go.)

  1. Library Lil by Suzanne Williams
  2. Tomas and the Library Lady by Pat Mora
  3. Book! Book! Book! by Deborah Bruss
  4. Wild About Books by Judy Sierra
  5. Red Light, Green Light, Mama and Me by Cari Best
  6. The Librarian of Basra: A True Story from Iraq by Jeanette Winter
  7. The Librarian From The Black Lagoon by Mike Thaler
  8. Stella Louella's Runaway Book by Lisa Campbell Ernst
  9. The Shelf Elf With Library Lessons by Jackie Hopkins
  10. What Happened to Marion's Book? by Brook Berg
  11. Mr. Wiggle's Library by Carol L. Thompson
  12. I.Q. Goes to the Library by Mary Ann Fraser
  13. I Took My Frog to the Library by Eric A. Kimmel
  14. The Library Dragon by Carmen Agra Deedy

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Great list!
My kids love the "Black Lagoon" books. They are truly silly in a good way.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Louise said...

Thanks for the list! I will have to track some down for Reading Circle.

And I agree - the Librarian from the Black Lagoon sounds interesting...

9:10 AM  
Blogger PJ Librarian said...

The kids I use to read the Black Lagoon to, really did have a good time with it. I found the kindergarten and 1st grade students enjoyed it the most as it helped relieve some of the "fears" of coming to the big room with all the books. The boys especially loved Library Lil as Lil was able to convert a whole TV watching town and then a motorcycle gang into book reading library helpers. Of course, her motorcycle lifting abilities where pretty impressive also. One I didn't include is the recent "When the Library Lights Go Out". It is sure to become a fast favorite.

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you ever want some adult library setting books, you might try the Miss Zukas series. They feature a librarian as an unofficial detective. But thanks for this great list!

10:57 PM  
Blogger PJ Librarian said...

Thanks Jen! I will look the series up as I always love a good mystery.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home