Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Picture Books - Rufus at Work

Rufus at Work by Tory and Norman Taber 2005

We are big animal fans in our house, but especially we love cats and this book definitely tickled our funny bone. Here you will find that Rufus can really defend himself when Posy his owner calls him a fat and lazy cat. Rufus not only provides examples as to how hard he works each day, but also how he helps Posy and she doesn’t even notice it. The story is filled with the usual cat activities that we take for granted, but when recounted by Rufus take on a whole new meaning. For example, Rufus sees it as his job to make sure that the sun does not get on the rug. He also demonstrates how hard it is too make sure that Posy gets up in the morning for school and the work it takes to guard the bird bath. The perspective that Rufus sheds on the life of a cat will make everyone take a second look at the daily antics of cats and how they spend their time.

When I originally picked it up, I wasn’t so sure I would have an interest in the book. The artwork was something that did not appeal to me and there was even a bit of disconnect at first. After reading the book, the artwork began to grow on me, but I still think something a little different could have worked better for the story. The funny thing is I am usually pretty open minded about artwork, but for some reason this one just didn’t hit any of my interest buttons. But hey, I am not a kid and it may really be something for them as it is very much in a cartoonish style.

This is the first book for the husband and wife team and looks as if it would be a good book for preschool to 2nd grade.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home