Thursday, August 17, 2006

Trying to Create a Book

Oh don't misunderstand; I am not creating a literary piece of work. I am truly aware of my writing limitations unlike many celebrities. No, I have actually been trying to create one of those photobooks that you see advertised by online firms such as Picabo, Yahoo, Snapfish, Shutterfly, etc. The project started off as a surprise anniversary gift for my husband. I thought chronicling our first years together would be a great way to say I love you and the memories we share. Unfortunately, the task was a bit more onerous than the advertisements lead you to believe and my husband observed the enormous amount of time I was sitting in front of the computer. So, he now knows, but when the actual book arrives it will at least be sort of a surprise.

Anyway, I should have known this would be more difficult because marketing people do their best to make things look easier than they really are. Plus, most of these type of projects use digital photos, but we only obtained one a few years back. So, the majority of the photos to be included in this fancy "scrapbook" of memories have to be scanned. Also, the photos need to be edited for the typical red-eye, over lighting, etc. because most of us are not professional photographers or produce the same quality as my talented sister or brother-in-law. In addition to our years together, I got this idea that there should be a few photos of us included when we were younger, sort of like what you see at weddings now days. Lucky for me I have a great mother-in-law who took on the task of finding and scanning in photos of my husband’s younger years then emailed them to me. Hey, what can I say I married a man with a wonderful family.

So, after many, many hours I have enough photos of our earlier years, our dating years, and married life all wrapped up in a neat little program offered by one of these companies. Now, I am off to add hopefully witty text and let it settle for a day or two then re-look to ensure I have what I want. It is funny how a loving idea turns into a long drawn out humongous project that ensnared other family members. Soon I will return this site back to its regularly scheduled program of book reviews.

2 Comments:

Blogger daddy d said...

Those "books" take a lot of work. They are a joy and a labor of love. The production takes time. Unlike the stores putting out fall stuff at this time of the year. Summer has another month to go.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Frema said...

What a fun idea. I'm sure he'll love it, and Baby will enjoy looking through it one day, too.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home