Thursday, August 17, 2006

What's in the News?

Well, it seems a high school in San Jose, CA is going to be without a library for the school year due to fire. According to this item from the Mercury News, the fire is being labeled suspicious in nature. The photo that accompanies the article just makes your heart ache looking at all the books charred beyond repair. (Although I am located in the midwest, I have family that lives in the area and scan the online headlines to see what is happening in their neck of the woods, so to speak.) I have always found the layout of California schools very interesting or at least where many of my relatives have attended. This particular school is of similar "outdoorsy" design to where my cousins went in Southern CA in that it is comprised of several buildings. The design probably helped contain the fire. The library was housed in a building that also included the computer labs. The article indicates to replace the recently updated building's contents will be between 2 and 3 million. Yikes!

3 Comments:

Blogger daddy d said...

Too bad about their library. It is sad to see such a loss. Mostly, books are a plus.

As, Ringo said in "Hard Days Night": " You can learn from boooks, you know."

2:13 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I just happened upon your blog from white robin's...I love children's books sooooo much! In fact, I've thought about going back to school so that when I return to teaching, I might go for an elementary librarian position.

Neat site! You have lots of good links!

11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was very pained by the picture of that library, too. Too pained to even write about it on my blog. But I'm glad that you did - the library deserved a bit of a eulogy.

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home