Monday, September 11, 2006

Terrifying Toy? Maybe!

Many of us remember the classic stacker toy from years ago, which is still available. But, for some reason I had this idea that my wee one, who loves music, would enjoy the updated version. It comes with colorful lights and fun sounds when you stack the stars (no longer round rings). Plus, when you put the top on it you get to hear magical musical tunes. So, why was it put back in the closet again today? Well, every time we bring it out the wee one looks as if the toy is possessed and won’t let go of mommy’s legs, arms, or anything that can be used to hold on to.

It all started a few months ago. We (the wee one and myself) sat down to play with this thing. She didn’t like the looks of it then, but mommy thought oh I’m sure it will be fine in a day or two. It got to the point where she would cover it up with a pillow to try and hide it. It was then I thought maybe we’d try after a brief hiatus. I was thinking this morning it might be time, since she turned 19 months yesterday to bring out the stacker once again. But wait, my husband was thinking the same thing and lo and behold there it was on the floor of the playroom this morning. And, as I sat my wee one down she turned to me and gave me that don’t you think about going anywhere look. We sat down together again and I showed her what fun the toy can be and how exciting it was to hear all the fun music. She wouldn’t let go of me. Finally, she went to get a large toy and tried to run the stacker out of the playroom. I then put it out of the area and that still wasn’t good enough. The toy had “contaminated” the space and we must go elsewhere.

Any lessons here, I think to myself? No, other than she was so much happier when I satisfied her “wreeee” habit. That is her word now for when she wants to read books.

4 Comments:

Blogger daddy d said...

I think that the eyes of the top star don't look friendly. Also, that smile doesn't look it means it. You child picks up on those things. She is smart wee one.

5:43 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

Ooooh! Reading is such a good thing, but then you know that! Everytime we have a new mom/baby opportunity with family/friends I give books. Sometimes I have to explain that it doesn't matter how young or old, just read. It is just so important.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

Strangely, I am reminded of a Bart Simpson episode, in which Homer makes Bart a bed that has a clown face for a headboard. Poor Baby Bart is frightened by the clown. Of course, Daddy, Homer, was trying to create something fun for little Bart. I guess how each of us perceives the world is different. How clever of your sweet girl to cover the evil with a pillow and to run the stacker out of the room with a bigger toy...

7:19 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

You know, I think I'm with your little one. That new stacker is a little scary. Stackers aren't supposed to be alive!

Funny story :)

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home