Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Early Readers - Biscuit Visits the Big City

“My First I Can Read Book” is a series that is aimed at budding readers. Sometimes series like these can be a bit difficult for kids to get into as the subject matter and flow are, well, I’ll just come out and say it – Boring! However, I was pleasantly surprised by the Biscuit series authored by Alyssa Satin Capucilli. I recently picked up the latest Biscuit book titled Biscuit Visits the Big City. How delightful! The story is actually engaging and kids can relate to Biscuit’s adventure and energy in discovering new things. Even though the “My First” series indicates it is meant to be shared reading, it could work fine as an on your own book too. The illustrations work well with the words provided and reminds me of the talent that can be seen in picture books. I have seen some Early Readers where for some reason the publisher/editor tends to skimp on talent or at least appeal. But, that is not the case here. Also, Biscuit is available in Spanish and would be great for anyone with students that are learning to read in Spanish.

Mrs. Capucilli has written a number of picture books. One that I found very popular to read to a young audience is that of Inside a House That is Haunted. This is one of several in her Inside titles. When the time comes in our house, I think I will check out her The Potty Book (for girls).


So, if you have a child that is ready to start reading with assistance, give this series a try. I think the reader and "assistant" will find them enjoyable. There are also a couple of other series that are good in the "I Can Read" series (by the same company). These include The Little Bear series by Else Holmelund Minarik for Level 1 reading and then from there the fun Frog & Toad series by Arnold Lobel for Level 2 reading.

2 Comments:

Blogger PJ Librarian said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:20 PM  
Blogger PJ Librarian said...

Thanks "Mom". I will add the Potty book to my list of "got to get" and thanks for visiting.

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home