Friday, September 15, 2006

Oldies, but Goodies - Kids Records

For all those who remember listening to kids stories on the radio or record players there is a website for you. A former classmate of mine works at the local library and introduced me to Kiddie Records Weekly this past weekend. This website is a project that takes “golden age” children’s records and makes them available to the public for listening or downloading. The stories are generally from the 1940’s and 50’s. It is amazing the variety of materials they have located. Some of these include classics like:

Story of Robin Hood - The Adventures of Tom Thumb - Little Black Sambo - Cinderella - Pecos Bill - Rob Roy - The Sorcerer's Apprentice - Why the Chimes Rang - Mother Goose - Madeline - etc.

There looks to be about 52 record selections for each year of the three-year project. Many of these have the original storybook images that came with the record. They all include at least the album cover image. This would make a great tool to use when introducing story versions to kids of today. The audio clarity is pretty good for most of the records as well.


I am not from that time period, but really enjoyed (and had a good laugh) hearing the different stories and how they were “told” back then. With the current tech savviness of today’s youth, many would probably appreciate the audio stream or download options.

3 Comments:

Blogger Molly said...

When I was little, maybe younger than 5, I received a series of "Alice in Wonderland" records in the mail. There was some interval of time, and another record would arrive. This was quite exciting for a small girl living in the time before TELEVISION. I think that these records are in the living room closet. I also remember a two record version of the operatta, Hansel and Gretel. These records were fun to listen to and to look at because the records are red.

Those were the days.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

Well. Alice must be off to Wonderland but not in the closet. Those little records must have been tossed. The closet does have a treasure trove of old 78 records in poor to bad condition. I have a number of records from the Children's Record Guild. I think that these too were some record of the month and arrived through the mail. We did have "Why the Chimes Rang", which I remember fondly, as my sister, Betsy, and I were in that play, one Christmas.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

I am visting from Spring of the White Robin (link would be here if I knew how to add it) and had just enough time to click on to one of her links. Librarian was the one I chose and glad I did. I'll be back to read more when I have more time, but I do appreciate all the information I see here. Am a retired teacher and love to continue to stay in touch with what's popular. I taught at Wayside Elementary, so of course, Louis Sachar's books were some of my 4th graders favorites...THEN, "Holes" came out (which he wrote)... THEN I went to a high school reunion and learned one of my friends was married to him.
Small World.!

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home