Thursday, July 19, 2007

Journalism My Butt!

Some people are just spoilsports, especially when it comes to something that is successful. Maybe they just want their 15 minutes of fame whether it be good or bad. Those that are posting early and questionable reviews of the upcoming not yet released final Harry Potter book are really riding the coat tails of someone else’s hard work and dedication. Instead of waiting patiently like the majority of us who want to enjoy the book without being shouted the plot pivoting points they would rather spoil the anticipation for millions.

So, do you think now that the New York Times has printed their review from an unauthorized stool pigeon that other media sources will hold back? I doubt it! In my many years on the receiving end of the daily news and some years spent in broadcast studies and participation (yes, I at one time was on the radio and studied broadcasting, one of my many endeavors in high school and college) I have yet to witness many true news journalist with an once of integrity. Between the one-ups-men attitude and the let's draw the biggest audience for advertisers mentality politicians are closely followed in sliminess by those that claim to be reporters of news.

Oh, yes spoiling the book for millions is news, but how many will hold it at that? Let’s see how many broadcasters are actually going to go on and reveal the details. I will be doing my best to ignore the news and such until I obtain my copy of the book on Saturday to enjoy it for myself. Best of luck to the rest of you. And, I hope the publishers who spent big bucks for security on the book's release win a round or two in court with these spoilsports.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger daddy d said...

Right. One could read the last chapter first to get a jump on the book. No one else would have to know. I learned that from my favorite librarian.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Luke said...

I myself completely avoided most forms of mainstream media for about a week and a half before the book came out to be sure to avoid any spoilers.

In fact, when we were waiting in line for the book at the midnight sale, Frema was terrified that someone might yell out details of the book before anyone even had a chance to buy it. Fortunately, that did not happen, and we both finished the books as it was intended.

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home