Thursday, October 04, 2007

DVD - Letter Factory

Yes, this is a blog for books, but there are some really good tools that can add extra fun in learning those letters. We here have discovered (I know I'm a bit behind the times) the DVD put out by Leap Frog back in 2003 titled Letter Factory. This is one of many entertaining and yet useful DVD's available from this mega marketing and "Toy" company. With the hubby out of town this week I haven't had much time (read in there no time) for myself. So, to save my wee one from a crazed mama I picked up this rated G, appears to be okay, DVD and plugged it in for a bit of peace while doing the dishes. And, to my and wee one's delight it was so much fun. She has seen the 35 minute DVD each day this week (no judging here there have been at least 6 to 8 books a day to add to that). Now I am not an advocate for this company nor do I think it is "the" tool to use in teaching reading or phonics, but it sure is a nice bit of change from the norm and the wee one is having fun talking about tapping "T"'s and jumping "J"'s. If your in a spot or need some extra support, I would try this DVD out. It is recommended for ages 2 to 5, which seems about right. Also, helpful for those struggling with there letters.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger daddy d said...

I think the right DVD can be just like a tool. It can give some help. And help is good.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

This sounds like a good experiment to me. Some little children seem to love the Leap Frog stuff.

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of our schools received a grant to purchase several Leap Frog products for the kindergarten classrooms. They didn't use them in the rooms, but lent them out overnight as a learning tool for parents and their children. I believe it was quite successful.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Beckyb said...

This is a WONDERFUL tool - I agree. Except that you've been warned - you will be singing the catchy tune for days!!!

http://www.inthepages.blogspot.com

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter is almost two and is a big fan of this video. She knows almost all her capital letters and I know this video has helped in the process. The video is simple but lots of fun. The songs are the same as the ones used in the "Fridge Phonics" letters by the same company. "B says buh... B says buh... Every letter makes a sound. B says buh."

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home