Friday, October 26, 2007

Picture Books - Babar's Little Girl

There are so many books I want to share with you, but we have been busying regrouping from last week’s vacation and this week's odd happenings. Right now the wee one is battling a mean case of the croup. Unfortunately, for me she woke up this morning after an extremely difficult night without her voice. Although she is only 2 1/2 she really has an amazing vocabulary that I have come to rely on for communication. Now she is a bit frustrated with me because she is trying so hard to tell me things and I truly have no idea what she is saying. So, I’m having to revert back to what I did before she had this marvelous way of expressing herself.

In the meantime we are reading a wide variety of books and watching some of those great educational videos. One of the books she is really enjoying is from the Babar series. Ah, you can’t go wrong with a classic Babar book in my opinion. We picked up Babar's Little Girl by Laurent De Brunhoff a few weeks ago at the library. I am amazed at how well she sits for an extend length picture book. The story is a fairly straightforward tale of how Babar’s little five-year-old wonders off without telling anyone and worries everyone. Although she is safe, the story explains without drama how wondering off is not a good idea. With so many unfortunately incidents of today’s world this would make a good introduction to the topic of staying safe and letting others know where you will be. The wee one is a bit too young to understand this from the book, but a seed planted here and there at this age can never go wrong. Most sites recommend this for ages 9 and up, but I think preschool and up would work if the audience is one with patience or sits well for longer stories.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger daddy d said...

One is never too young to learn safety lessons. It is a seed well planted.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

I am glad that she is enjoying Babar. The other Babar stories bring back such fond memories.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home