Thursday, October 11, 2007

Bee Careful!

Ah! The fall weather has really moved in. After 90 degree weather this week and the past several months, it has been nice to feel the crisp air. As with every year this being no exception, the bees have been out trying to get their winter supply taken care of. Unfortunately for me, I accidentally interrupted one of those bees yesterday. The wee one and I were at the park enjoying some great sunshine and mild weather, plus helping her get over the horror of that morning’s flu shot. Upon leaving the park I bent over to pick the wee one up before we entered the parking lot at the same time a bee came buzzing by. We collided and the bee proceeded to become entangled in my hair. I placed the wee one quickly on the ground and tried to frantically remove the frustrated bee from my way too long hair. As I “helped” it to freedom it flew into my jaw and promptly stung me.

Now of all places it had to be on the under side of the jaw line right out of my eyesight. Being somewhat visually challenged it has been difficult to see if I really did get the stinger out or if it is still what is irritating me. Boy does this sting itch and hurt at the same time. From a distance looking into the mirror I can see the redness, but can’t really see the entry area. But, one of the many nice benefits having a great husband is that when he gets back tonight I can have him look it over. And, I’m sure he will do it without mentioning the many humorous comments that this can generated. Almost felt as if I was playing a comedic role in some silly show the way it happened.

Anyway, this is a great time of year to visit your local library and checkout some interesting books about how bees spend their fall season like - The life cycle of a Honeybee by Ruth Thomson.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Molly said...

Does the informative book talk about the bees stinging? Really, I am sorry that you have been stung.

When teaching a new topic, I enjoy books like these. The children's versions of scientific books often give clear, concise explanations of complicated ideas.

11:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch!!! It seems tht our two always have to step on a unexpecting bee at least twice a summer.....each.
Take care of that and try not to scratch!!

Love Aunt Ruthie

6:09 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

My little one loves these series and we often check them out at the library. She is in a pretty big non-fiction phase right now. She got some funny looks when she handed our local librarian a field guide to birds with over 100 pages of pics of birds. It was hours of entertainment of the little one!

9:58 PM  
Blogger daddy d said...

Bees hit hard and fast. Hurt, hurt.
Sorry.

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home