Monday, February 18, 2008

Picture Books - Easy Street

Typically in our area road construction runs from about March to November, but there are always those “quick” patches that are done year round. Previously, when I have been slowed or stalled from road construction I have usually tried to make light of it to our wee one by pointing out the various pieces of equipment. However, I really haven’t ever gone into to the “why’s” other than explaining the road needs fixing.

In Easy Street (2006) the author Rita Gray has gone the extra mile to explain the road building process in simple terms with the use of rhyming text. Surprisingly, the details behind constructing a road are there in the words and the unique artwork depicted by illustrator Mary Bono yet it isn't overwhelming to the reader. This is definitely a book to read with the coming construction season for those looking to be sitting in traffic. Also, this does have the familiar Bob the Builder look, but it is a bit more than that. Good for both boys and girls and probably a good reminder to us driving that road building is a process that is good, but tedious. My recommendation for ages would be newborn to 5.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Sheila said...

Hi, I just found your blog today. I linked to it on my son's reading blog. It is called Preschool Reader. I list the books he reads or has read to him.

2:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like this will be a nice connection to what is happening all around as you sit in the car to wait! Good mommy talk!

8:06 PM  
Blogger daddy d said...

Good mommy talk. I like that way of putting it. I hope no one thinks I copied gawilli's way of expression. "It is just words after all."

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home