Thursday, November 22, 2007

A Lone(ly) Wolf

Some days I really wonder about nature. A few weeks ago on the way to church we saw a wolf lying beside the road that had unfortunately been hit by a car. Now it seemed odd to see a wolf that close to city limits, but we were traveling towards and almost in a rural area. So, it didn’t seem too odd. However, this morning on our way to Thanksgiving dinner we saw another one only this guy was inside city limits and in an industrial park area (opposite direction of our last encounter). We had to do a double take and then slowed down to get a better look. Sure enough it was a wolf and a large one at that and meandering a bit anxiously along. However, it made my heart sink when I noticed that he was heading in the direction of the interstate. Hopefully, he found a different and safer path to get were he was heading. I have heard about coyotes and even a fox or two in city limits heck there was even a beaver in my old neighborhood, but this was my first wolf sighting. The picture posted here is almost identical to the one we saw today. Had I not been driving I would have grabbed the camera. The cool thing was both my husband and wee one got to see it too. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Molly said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your little family. A naturalist that I know said that the Rails to Trails provide a safe pathway for wildlife. Maybe the Rails to Trails in and around Indy have benefited the wildlife population including wolves.

11:25 PM  
Blogger daddy d said...

A real wolf is sight of nature. They are smart and can figure out how to do the right thing for themselves most of the time.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sighting! But also a sad sign of the shrinking natural habitat. We saw a Bobcat along the road a few years ago in central Texas. It, too, was quite an exciting experience.

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home