Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Picture Books - Gotta Go! Gotta Go!

Gotta Go! Gotta Go! by Sam Swope 2000

With all the Monarch butterflies I have seen today I just had to mentioned one of my all time favorite read aloud books. It is a perfect book to read this time of year especially to kindergarten through 3rd grade students. Although younger and older would also appreciate the fun and repetitive phrase of "I don't know much, but I know what I know. I gotta go! I gotta go! I gotta go to Mexico!" The author quickly yet accurately takes us through the life cycle and migration process of a Monarch caterpillar. By introducing us to the Monarch caterpillar on an individual and personable level, the author has the reader instantly developing a bond and becoming a sideline cheerleader for the butterfly’s success. This is one of those picture books that really help supplement a science project or the introduction of insects. But, it does this without getting into too much detail, but still provides an overall look at how caterpillars and butterflies follow their natural instincts. There are a number of wonderful books on butterflies in general, but this has to be one of the tops in my opinion.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger daddy d said...

The butterflies going south is some fall time action. I did see a bunch of robins Saturday afternoon looking like they were thinking about moving south themselves. It is that time of year.

8:45 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

Wanted you to know we are sharing your site with our media staff. You have so many good recommendations.

The wooly worms are coming round our house already. It feels early to me this year - but good.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

I think that children's science books are excellent resources for teachers, parents, and children. The books usually describe some phenomenon on a basic level for introductory understanding of the concept. Gotta Go! Gotta Go! has an inviting cover.

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home